Quick Bits: Johnson, Matsui, Damon
Here are a few items to kick off the day:
- In case you missed it, the Yankees and Nick Johnson have agreed to a one-year deal worth $5.5M.
- Johnson chose the Yankees over playing first base in SF or Seattle because he loved his time in NYC.
- According to Mark Feinsand’s sources, the Yankees let Matsui leave because of the condition of his knees.
- Unless Johnny Damon is suddenly open to a very cheap deal, his tenure with the Yankees is likely over.
- This will surely upset some of the current Yanks, as many of them lobbied for the team to resign him.
- Another one of Mark Feinsand’s sources noted that Damon’s likeliest destination is now the Giants.
- Given the way the Yankees are operating this winter, it is clear they’re trying to stick to a budget.
What do you think about the Johnson signing? Should the Yankees have added Matsui, instead?
Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images