Quick Bits: Damon, A-Jax, Coke, Pineiro, S. Jackson, Sheffield
Here are a few notable items on the morning (enjoy them with your coffee):
- Tyler Kepner wonders if FA Johnny Damon will pull a Kenny Rogers and wait for the spring to sign.
- Damon actually texted Kepner amidst retirement rumors and firmly stated that he wants to play in 2010.
- Lloyd McClendon, Detroit’s hitting coach, is eager to work with the Austin Jackson during spring training.
- GM Dave Dombrowski has said that Phil Coke could start in 2010, but Jim Leyland sees him as a reliever.
- To fill the void left by ace John Lackey, the Angels have signed Joel Pineiro for 2 years at $16M. Terrible.
- Pittsburgh has DFA’d former Yankees prospect, Steven Jackson, after claiming him off waivers in ’09.
- Here’s an interesting bench idea by Steve over at TYU. How about the 41-year old Gary Sheffield?
The Yankees would never bring Sheff back, but as a right-handed pinch-hitter, you could do worse.
Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images