Morning Bits: Prospects, Van Benschoten, V-Mart, Bullpen
As usual, here are a few quick items on the morning:
- Ben Badler of BA points out that the Yankees are very active with regards to international prospects.
- Sticking with the Baseball America theme, BA informs us that the Yankees have John Van Benschoten.
- In case you were wondering, Van Benschoten, 29, was a former first-round pitching bust with the Pirates.
- BoSox catcher, Victor Martinez, has nothing but nice things to say about former teammate, CC Sabathia.
- Ben K. of River Ave Blues wonders about the possible roster repercussions of the Chan Ho Park signing.
Ben’s text ponders a possible bullpen scenario in which Phil Hughes would start the season in the minors. Now that Park is on board, and guaranteed a roster spot, I still think the Yankees will trade one of Sergio Mitre or Chad Gaudin in order to allow Hughes (or Joba) to stay up at the beginning of the year (Ben also believes that a trade, particularly one that involves Mitre, could happen). It would be nice to see Hughes in Scranton, upping his innings count, however, I really cannot see the Yankees leaving him in the minors at any point this season (barring injury or awfulness).
Photo by the AP