Quick Bits: Recap, Posada, Teixeira, Apparel, Perfect Game
Here are a few quick items on the day:
- Thanks to Phil Hughes, now 7-1, and a rejuvenated offense, the Yanks beat Baltimore last night, 9-1.
- Jorge Posada returned to the Yankees lineup – as the DH – and was 1-for-3 with a walk on the night.
- Mark Teixeira was also back in the lineup after exiting the game a day prior with a bruised left foot.
- A bit random but some of the Yankees – 6 of them, actually – have designed their own apparel line.
- And, be sure to check out what some of the Yankees had to say regarding the not-so-perfect game.
With regards to what I thought about yesterday’s spoiled perfecto, I just don’t understand how Joyce missed that call – he was clearly out – and, tied to that, why did he put himself in such a lose-lose position? Even if you think it’s a close play, wouldn’t you defer to the pitcher in that particular moment? I mean, it is a perfect game after all. I don’t think what I’m saying is cheating, biased, or at all disingenuous, rather, I’m just saying, if you’re in that situation and actually thought the play was bang-bang – i.e., close – and you’re unsure, why not just call the guy out? No one would complain if that occurred. Joyce, of course, didn’t do that and is now getting an earful (to say the least).
He could be helped by Bud Selig, though. Rumor is, the MLB is discussing the situation today.
Photo by the AP