Quick Bits: Recap, Joba/K-Rob, Garza, Haren, Downs
Here are a few quick items on the day:
- Thanks to Curtis Granderson and Javier Vazquez, the Yankees beat the Indians last night, 3-2.
- The Yankees actually won without Joba Chamberlain, as Dave Robertson setup for Mariano Rivera.
- Boone Logan also helped in the eighth last night. Joe Girardi said the bullpen calls were matchup-based.
- Matt Garza threw a no-hitter last night. I’m just surprised that the Rays weren’t the ones who were no-hit.
- Dan Haren took a liner off his forearm in his debut with the Angels. That’s bad karma for not joining NY.
- The Yankees and the Red Sox are reportedly interested in Toronto’s Scott Downs (among others).
As is typically the case, Downs, a left-handed reliever, is having a great year. On the season, he has posted a 3.08 FIP over 41 innings pitched. He would make a great addition to a somewhat unreliable Yankee bullpen. I figure the Blue Jays would drive a hard bargain in order to acquire him, however.
Photo by Reuters