Quick Bits: Johnson, Vazquez, Prospects, Silliness
Here are a few quick items on the morning:
- Nick Johnson had his physical yesterday. His signing will likely be announced sometime today.
- Apparently, Brian Cashman attempted to trade for Javier Vazquez (again) in 2005 and in 2008.
- Vazquez on his second half in 2004: “I didn’t feel as well… my arm wasn’t where it was supposed to be.”
- FanGraphs‘ Marc Hulet offers his take on the Yanks’ top 10 prospects (Arodys Vizcaino is included).
- Should the Yankees use Chad Gaudin as their 5th starter and move Hughes and Joba to the bullpen?
That’s an actual question that Ken Rosenthal poses after speaking to a “rival executive,” who presumably believes that the maneuver would be beneficial to the Yankees’ pitching staff, as the young duo would fortify the bridge to super closer, Mariano Rivera. Crazy, right? Rather than ship the talented tandem to Toronto for one of the best veteran starters in recent memory (i.e., Roy Halladay), I’m sure the Yankees chose to retain Joba and Hughes because they wanted to see both pitchers working out of the bullpen for years to come (…yes, that’s sarcasm).
Back with more a bit later…
Photo by the AP